Cleveland is experiencing a building boom and bringing with it, some good paying jobs. WOIO Action News has found one woman who is proving she can do the work too. She is taking advantage of a free apprenticeship program offered by Sheet Metal Workers Local 33.
“I think the hardest part is the sizes and weights of the material that you work with because as a woman you’re not as strong as a man so sometimes it can be a bit challenging to try and lift something up and carry it up a ladder and try and install it over your head,” said Fatima Ware.
Fatima is three years into the five year program and what’s her motivation? “To be better, to try to be better than the men. . .” Click here for more coverage from WOIO Action News in Cleveland.
- Growth through unity
- SMART, labor allies convene at AFL-CIO Convention to build worker power
- N.J. SLD recognized for leadership, tapped to lead economic coalition
- Fortune Magazine highlights the benefits of a union sheet metal career
- SMART TD President Ferguson and BLET President Pierce give joint interview on podcast
- Transportation labor reacts to the State of the Union Address
- VA Adds TABB As Accepted Certification Body
- Career of a lifetime: Renato Favero’s 80 years of service
- SM Local 280 SMART Army Helps Local Charity Aid Community
- New SMOHIT Safety Guide Available