The Union Pacific Museum recently opened the “Women of Steel” exhibit that honors and highlights the history and achievements of the unsung women trailblazers in one of the few industries still dominated by men – the rail industry. The exhibit will run at the UP Museum, Council Bluffs, Iowa, until October 28, 2017, then goes on the road as the first traveling exhibit of its kind. Click here to read the article.
In the March 2017 issue of the Transportation Division News, SMART TD highlighted the accomplishments and history of women in rail, bus and aviation in honor of Women’s History Month. Click here to view “A look back at the women who paved the way for women in rail” (page 9), “Women Trailblazers of the Bus Industry” (page 10) and the “History of women in aviation” (pages 4 & 9).
Photo: Edwina Justus in 1976, UP’s first black female locomotive engineer. Photo courtesy of Union Pacific Railroad Museum.
SMART TD women members in rail: Please send your photos & stories to: News_TD@Smart-Union.org.
- TD President Ferguson’s statement on PEB 250’s recommendations
- PEB a.m. update: Aug. 17, 2022
- SMART statement on President Biden’s signing of the Inflation Reduction Act
- Announcement to come regarding PEB
- SMART statement on White House Back to School 2022 collaboration to improve indoor air quality
- SMART statement on passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- SMART Leadership Conference day three: building solidarity and strength
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force