The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) added the Testing, Adjusting and Balancing Bureau (TABB) as a third certification body for certifying personnel and contractors who perform testing, adjusting and balancing (TAB) on heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC); water balancing; and sound and vibration equipment testing. The addition was effective Nov. 1.
With endorsements and acceptance/inclusion from the VA, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA), and construction companies nationwide, TABB is the professional’s choice for the testing, adjusting and balancing of HVAC systems.
The decision was based, in part, on a white paper released in 2020 by the University of California, Davis Western Cooling Efficiency Center (WCEC), “Testing, Adjusting and Balancing HVAC Systems: An Overview of Certification Agencies,” which examined the benefits of using certified contractors and favorably positioned TABB as the first and only personnel-certifying body accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in this field. The paper also stated TABB conforms to ISO/IEC 17024, an internationally recognized standard for personnel certification bodies.
TABB has developed certifications to serve as verification that technicians and supervisors have the knowledge and experience needed to complete the job tasks at hand. A well-balanced HVAC system isn’t just efficient, it’s also safer due to enhanced ventilation rates and overall indoor air quality.
“Certification provides assurance to building owners that a particular contractor will meet a specified level of quality,” as stated in the white paper. “The need for highly skilled technicians has increased with the complexity of HVAC systems.”
In addition to the endorsement, TABB’s relationship with SMACNA ensures personnel will be trained and certified, as well as have access to technical publications and complete continuing education requirements to maintain expert status.
The Testing, Adjusting and Balancing Bureau (TABB) is the first program to gain ANSI accreditation for certification in the testing, adjusting and balancing industry. Certification is a statement that the technician, supervisor and contractor demonstrate the highest level of professional expertise.
- American Rescue Plan funding saves thousands of SMART pensions
- Meet Teresa George, a 16-year conductor with SMART TD Local 1105 (Wilmington, N.C.)
- Secure your future. Vote!
- Solidarity with Kingspan workers
- SMART MD membership votes to ratify contract with freight rail carriers
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC
- SMART statement on President Biden’s signing of the Inflation Reduction Act
- SMART statement on White House Back to School 2022 collaboration to improve indoor air quality