Federal law now requires the reporting of Social Security numbers (SSNs) for covered dependents to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
Employees who have not yet provided dependent SSNs will have their dependents’ coverage terminated on July 31.
This includes participants of all medical plans, including the Railroad Employees National Health and Welfare Plan and the National Railway Carriers and United Transportation Union Health and Welfare Plans.
In addition, if a covered dependent is eligible for Medicare, then the Medicare Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) is also required.
To comply with these reporting requirements, Railroad Enrollment Services has mailed a final notice to those members identified with missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs.
If you have received a notice from Railroad Enrollment Services, provide the SSN and/or HICN for any dependent who is listed as missing this information — and sign, date and return the Social Security Reporting Form by the requested return date to the address provided.
If you do NOT receive a notice requesting missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs, you need not take any action at this time.
- For any dependent who was newly added to the plan between Jan. 1, 2009 and May 31, 2010: If Railroad Enrollment Services does not receive the Social Security number for any newly added 2009/2010 dependent whose SSN is missing by July 31, 2010, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective July 31, 2010.
- For any dependent who was added to the plan before Jan. 1, 2009: If Railroad Enrollment Services does not receive the Social Security number for any dependent whose SSN is missing by Jan. 31, 2011, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective Jan. 31, 2011.
When Railroad Enrollment Services transmits the SSNs and/or HICNs to CMS, they will maintain all physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal information.
For additional information regarding the new CMS federal law pertaining to this requirement, visit:
If you have questions or need another copy of the notification sent you, call Railroad Enrollment Services at (800) 753-2692.
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson
- Important update for all SMART-TD and BLET members included in national negotiations
- Update on SMART-TD balloting for National Rail Tentative Agreement
- VSTD premium reset and benefit changes announced
- Appearances with federal officials reinforce that union is labor leader in Kansas
- Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar hotel deadline now Oct. 28