VICTORIA, Texas — UTU member and Valley Transit bus operator Guadalupe Ruiz escaped injury May 12 when his bus was sideswiped by a pickup truck near here. Ruiz is a member of UTU Local 1670, Laredo, Texas.
The Associated Press reports that one of the bus passengers was killed and 21 other riders injured in the accident.
The Associated Press reports that bus was sent crashing into a light pole after being sideswiped. The bus was traveling from Houston to McAllen, Texas, on U.S. 77.
Witnesses told the Associated Press that Ruiz didn’t have time to react when the pickup sideswiped the right side of the bus. The pickup truck driver, who was not injured, was issued a citation for failing to yield the right-of-way at an intersection. Other charges may be brought against the pickup truck driver said the Victoria County district attorney’s office.
- SMART-TD statement on the results of the U.S. Senate vote to impose the rail agreement
- SMART-TD statement on potential extension of status-quo period
- SMART-TD statement on congressional intervention in the national rail negotiations
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson