Amtrak conductor and Local 1933 member Amanda “Mandie” Brillhart has been in the hospital more than a month and continues to undergo surgeries after Florence, S.C., sheriff’s deputies said her husband, Charles Durell Nethercutt, poured gasoline on her and set her on fire in their home in September.
As a result of the attack, Brillhart received severe burns to her torso, arms, legs and feet and has had extensive surgeries.
Online fundraisers at GoFundMe.com are ongoing to help her family with medical costs.
In an update on GoFundMe posted Oct. 19, Brillhart’s mother, Annette Brillhart, said that Mandie, 27, the mother of a one-year-old son, was going to undergo her 12th surgery and was being kept in a sterile environment in intensive care.
“I cannot tell you how grateful that we as a family are for the support that you all have shown for her and us as well. I am reading all the wonderful thoughts and prayers for her and I am overwhelmed,” Annette posted on GoFundMe. “Please continue to pray for her and leave your well wishes on this site or you may send a card or letter of encouragement to our home.
“When she finally gets out of ICU, I can bring them to her and she can read them and get a better understanding of how much she means to people, even the ones she does not know.”
To contribute online, visit https://www.gofundme.com/yasvcw-support-for-mandie.
To send cards or letters, address them to:
102 Red Coat Lane,
Columbia, SC 29223
Police tracked Nethercutt down in Yonkers, N.Y., and took him into custody in mid-November. He faces charges of attempted murder and others.
- SMART statement on passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- SMART Leadership Conference day three: building solidarity and strength
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- SMART Leadership Conference day two: locals continue hard work
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Inaugural SMART Leadership Conference kicks off in San Francisco with “Growth Through Unity”