The Safe Freight Act, the two-person crew bill introduced Jan. 30 by U.S. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, has doubled its number of cosponsors in two weeks.
On Feb. 12, U.S. Sens. Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire and Tina Smith of Minnesota joined in supporting the bill, bringing the total number of cosponsors to nine.
Earlier in the month, Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts indicated their support.
Four senators — Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Angus King of Maine and Edward Markey of Massachusetts — were original cosponsors of the bill.
All cosponsors of the bill thus far, with the exception of King, an independent, are Democrats.
The two-person crew bill in the House of Representatives, H.R.233, introduced by U.S. Rep. Donald Young of Alaska, has 83 bipartisan cosponsors.
SMART TD members are encouraged to make use of the Legislative Action Center to continue the momentum for this vital safety legislation by sending messages to their senators and representatives supporting these bills or thanking them for their support.
- Ultimately, decision about tentative agreement is in members’ hands
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen