SMART-TD has one of the most extensive legislative organizations in the labor movement, with a national director, assistant national legislative director and staff headquartered in Washington, D.C.
In the U.S., 49 of 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, have legislative boards made up of local legislative representatives and headed by a director. This efficient legislative organization allows SMART-TD to mount effective, coordinated campaigns at the federal and state levels.
Among the important laws passed or amended because of SMART-TD action are the Railway Labor Act, the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act, the Railroad Retirement Act, the Federal Employers’ Liability Act, the Federal Hours of Service Act, the Rail Safety Act, the Motor Carrier Safety Act and the Mass Transportation Act.
The SMART-TD’s national legislative director in Washington acts as the union’s chief legislative and political officer and coordinates the activities of state legislative directors, acts as a liaison with national lawmakers, keeps voting records on legislators and furnishes recommendations and reports to the SMART-TD International President and the membership.
Use the links below to find out more about current legislation that affects you and your job, contact your lawmakers, register to vote or to contact SMART-TD’s national legislative director.
Washington news and updates
Click the link below to view news articles from SMART-TD and other sources regarding current legislation affecting you, your family and your job.
- Washington updates
- SMART Transportation Division’s 2020 congressional endorsements
- SMART Transportation Division’s 2018 congressional endorsements
- SMART Transportation Division’s 2016 congressional endorsements
- SMART Transportation Division’s 2014 congressional endorsements
- UTU’s 2012 congressional endorsements
- UTU’s 2010 congressional endorsements
National Legislative Office
- Visit the SMART-TD Legislative Action Center to get information about U.S. senators and representatives in Washington, D.C. The site also allows users to reach senators and representatives via email.
- For tips on writing to your Congressional representatives, see SMART-TD’s recommendations for Communicating With Congress.
- Register to vote
Support state and national lawmakers who support you! To find out more about the union’s political action committee, click on the link below.
The Legislative Department protects members’ rights and safety through interaction with Congress, government agencies and state legislatures. To find out more, read: