Washington, DC—Today marks the first year of the Biden-Harris administration. In response, SMART issued the following statement.
“Our union proudly endorsed Joe Biden for President because he promised to be the most pro-union president in history, and he has delivered on that promise. In his first year, he stood with SMART union members by appointing pro-labor candidates to important posts in his administration and swiftly removed anti-union staff at the Department of Labor and National Labor Relations Board. He saved current and retired union member pensions with the passage of the American Rescue Plan. The legislation ensured that full benefits are paid for the next 30 years, without any benefit reductions or any repayment obligation. Further, this historic legislation rebooted our economy by maintaining and creating jobs for SMART members to improve indoor air quality in our public schools and buildings.
President Biden established a Made in America Office to ensure our federal procurement and American taxpayers’ dollars support American workers. He also passed the historic Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act which will create good, union jobs and put SMART members to work improving indoor air quality in our schools and in commercial and residential buildings. It also makes long-overdue railroad safety improvements and will help school districts across the country buy clean, American-made, zero emission buses that will drive demand for the products and services provided by SMART sheet metal workers.
President Biden has demonstrated his unwavering support for union members through numerous executive orders that repealed union busting executive orders and reversed an anti-worker IRAP initiative supported by Trump, reinstated federal diversity and inclusion training, established a Task Force to empower workers and increase union density and established a $15 minimum wage for federal contractors.
These actions are historic and a victory for workers. Moving forward, we will continue to work with the Biden administration and Congress to deliver on the entirely of President Biden’s agenda to further boost the economy, advance racial equity and rebuild the middle class. This includes quickly passing the Build Back Better Act, voting rights legislation, establishing two-person crew requirements, and expanding worker organizing and labor protections.”
- Michael Coleman is elected SMART General President, succeeding Joseph Sellers
- Debt default threatens American workers: Take action today
- SMART Local 110 hosts Take Kids Fishing Day events with Union Sportsmen’s Alliance
- SMART News episode eight features member voices on right-to-work repeal, rail safety, jobs in Ohio and more
- NABTU Legislative Conference brings SMART members to DC to push for pro-worker policy
- Green, UNION jobs: SMART members continue to build our green future on Earth Day 2023
- Sheet metal worker-owner earns “Contractor of the Year” honorable mention
- Deputy Labor Secretary Julie Su has walked the walk for workers
- SMART Member Assistance Program keeps focus on union workers’ mental health
- SMART members show up for project labor agreements, union jobs in Northern California