After five years of working without a contract and receiving hostility from management, our brothers and sisters employed at New Jersey Transit are facing a March 13 deadline for a strike or lockout. This would affect 150,000 people who commute daily on trains and 280,000 who take buses.
NJ Transit has ignored a Presidential Emergency Board recommendation for common sense and modest annual pay increases and better health care coverage. These proposals would cover the next six years.
NJ Transit has also ignored a bipartisan group of Democrats and Republicans across the state’s congressional delegation, which sent a letter urging NJ Transit to seriously consider the board’s recommendations.
Instead, NJ Transit wants to impose a significant increase in health care costs that would wipe out any wage increases for its own employees.
The International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers (SMART) urges every local union and supporter who can make it to attend an important rally this Saturday, March 5th.
They need our support and solidarity now, more than ever. Wear your union colors, show your union pride and take a stand for your brothers and sisters!
Joseph Sellers, Jr.
SMART General President
Time and Location
11:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 5, 2016
Marion & Norman Tanzman Recreational Area
Across the street from Woodbridge Train Station
405 Pearl Street
Woodbridge, NJ 07095
- American Rescue Plan funding saves thousands of SMART pensions
- Secure your future. Vote!
- Solidarity with Kingspan workers
- Growth through unity
- SMART, labor allies convene at AFL-CIO Convention to build worker power
- N.J. SLD recognized for leadership, tapped to lead economic coalition
- Fortune Magazine highlights the benefits of a union sheet metal career
- SMART TD President Ferguson and BLET President Pierce give joint interview on podcast
- Transportation labor reacts to the State of the Union Address
- VA Adds TABB As Accepted Certification Body