Earlier this week, the House of Representatives passed an anti-worker bill misguidedly labeled as the “Working Families Flexibility Act” (H.R. 1180).
This harmful legislation would let employers give workers paid time off instead of being required to pay one and a half times their regular rate of pay for hours worked beyond 40 in a work week.
H.R. 1180 encourages employers to require excessive hours because overtime work would become cheaper and allow the employer to determine when the compensatory time off is allowed. This anti-worker bill would result in longer hours, less pay and more unpredictable work schedules for those who are not fortunate enough to have a union contract to protect them.
During a time when our nation’s elected leaders should be focused on creating good paying American jobs, H.R. 1180 does nothing more than provide employers with an opportunity to cheat their employees out of their earned overtime pay.
Click here to read the letter from SMART TD legislative office, sent to every member of Congress urging them to vote NO on this anti-worker bill. You can find out how your elected representatives voted by clicking the link below.
Click HERE to see how your member of Congress voted on H.R. 1180.
- SMART Leadership Conference day three: building solidarity and strength
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- SMART Leadership Conference day two: locals continue hard work
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Inaugural SMART Leadership Conference kicks off in San Francisco with “Growth Through Unity”
- Sheet metal breakout sessions at SMART Leadership Conference focus on shaping our future