Dear Members of the SMART Transportation Division:
The Baton Rouge, Louisiana flood waters, caused by an unprecedented, “thousand-year rainfall” have subsided, yet the devastation left behind in loss of life and destruction of property is immeasurable.
Baton Rouge is located nearly 100 feet above sea level, and was not considered a high flood risk area, which left most homeowners without flood insurance. Even those who had flood insurance are realizing nearly all of these insurance policies cap out at $30,000, which barely covers the cost of clean-up.
Some of those affected by the devastation are our Brothers and Sisters of SMART Transportation Division (SMART TD) who live in and near the Baton Rouge area. The silver lining is, and will continue to be, the generosity of citizens around the country who are giving what they can to help those affected to reclaim their lives.
We are asking the SMART TD family to rise to the call and give what you can, so that the daunting task of starting over and rebuilding can begin. Your generous donation will help lessen the struggle and bring real hope and relief to our SMART TD members who are suffering from this great loss.
SMART TD will administer donations sent to the UTU Disaster Relief Fund.
Questions? Please call the Transportation Division at: 216-228-9400.
Contributions may be sent to:
UTU Disaster Relief Fund
24950 Country Club Blvd.
North Olmsted, OH 44070-5333
President, SMART Transportation Division
The SMART Transportation Division is comprised of approximately 125,000 active and retired members of the former United Transportation Union, who work in a variety of different crafts in the transportation industry.
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART General President Joseph Sellers receives George Meany Award during NCCMP Conference
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen
- SMART-TD, BLET joint statement on rail embargo