The SMART Transportation Division is pleased to announce the first joint SMART Union Annual Leadership Conference. The event will replace the former TD Regional Meetings, which have had a two-year pandemic disruption. Please pay close attention to the following details as several changes have been made.
The 2022 Annual Leadership Conference is scheduled to take place Aug. 8-11 at the San Francisco Hilton Union Square, 333 O’Farrell St., San Francisco, CA 94102. The conference will be reserved for state board and general committee officers and the event includes the Sheet Metal Business Agents’ meeting.
Regional Training Seminar model to continue
For SMART-TD local officers, we are excited to continue our training strategy established during the COVID-19 pandemic of true “regional meetings.” The Regional Training Seminar (RTS) model was established to provide training close to the local in efforts to reduce the sometimes-prohibitive financial expense related to sending officers to these educational events. By providing training at multiple geographic locations and dates throughout the year, it will greatly assist in removing some of the logistical obstacles for local officers who want to attend.
During 2021, SMART-TD held four RTS in strategic locations that provided thorough and practical training for local officers. All were very well attended and received. General Chairpersons and SLDs will identify locations where there’s a demand for training and assist with organizing the event. We encourage locals and their officers to reach out if they would like an RTS. Once host locations are identified and chosen, information will be shared on our website and social media platforms about how to attend.
In addition, online SMART University training for members and officers will be made available in the very near future. In-person local secretary & treasurer workshops also will continue to be offered by SMART-TD and promoted on the TD Local Toolbox page when details are finalized.
Training is the backbone of our organization and SMART Transportation Division leadership is committed to bringing access to educational materials to all members and officers.
A more detailed article with additional information about the new structure of SMART-TD’s educational efforts will be released very soon.
- SMART-TD statement on the results of the U.S. Senate vote to impose the rail agreement
- SMART-TD statement on potential extension of status-quo period
- SMART-TD statement on congressional intervention in the national rail negotiations
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson