The International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers (SMART) pledges its enthusiastic support to U.S. Representative Tim Ryan of Ohio as he considers a potential bid for the United States Senate.
“Rep. Ryan has stood throughout his career as an elected official with the working women and men of SMART as well as workers across Ohio and the United States,” said Joseph Sellers, Jr., SMART General President. “We know Tim Ryan thanks to his work on behalf of SMART members and his understanding of the issues facing working Ohio families and will serve them well in the US Senate.”
Rep. Ryan has stood up to anti-worker attacks and has co-sponsored national legislation that would require two certified people to operate freight trains, strengthened apprenticeship programs, and voted in favor of the HEROES Act, which would have protected SMART members during the COVID-19 pandemic. He has also worked hard to protect retirement security from corporate greed that would have eviscerated retirement savings and the quality of life for millions of workers and retirees.
SMART, the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers, is one of North America’s most dynamic and diverse unions with 200,000 members. SMART’s members ensure the quality of the air we breathe, promote energy efficiency, produce and provide the vital services that move products to market and passengers to their destinations. We are sheet metal workers, service technicians, bus operators, engineers, conductors, sign workers, welders, production employees and more. With members in scores of different occupations, we advocate for fairness in the workplace, excellence at work and opportunity for all working families.
- Union sheet metal workers’ mental health program spotlighted by America’s Work Force Union Podcast
- SMART Chief International Rep. Scott Parks passes away
- SMART statement on Inflation Reduction Act anniversary
- Department of Labor updates prevailing wage regulations in win for SMART members and building trades workers
- SMART Leadership Conference concludes with stellar lineup of speakers, allies
- Union sheet metal leaders prepare for bright future on conference’s final day
- 2023 SMART Leadership Conference continues forward momentum on second day
- Sheet metal union leaders gather on day two of Leadership Conference to focus on progress
- “This is Our Time:” Second SMART Leadership Conference kicks off in Washington, D.C.
- Sheet metal union leaders get to work on first day of Leadership Conference