On February 28, Senator Bernie Sanders and Representatives Bobby Scott and Brian Fitzpatrick reintroduced the Richard L. Trumka Protecting the Right to Organize Act. In response, SMART issued the following statement:
“Today, we at SMART join Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) and Reps. Bobby Scott (Va.) and Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.) in their call to pass the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act.
“It’s no secret that workers in unions have higher wages, better benefits and safer working conditions. But due to outdated labor laws, too many workers across this country face employer interference in their efforts to organize, unionize and collectively bargain. Those bad faith employers break the law and rake in record profits, while many working people can barely support their families.
“The PRO Act would fully restore the right of workers to form a union and bargain collectively and ensure dignity and fair treatment for all. It’s time for us to hold corporations accountable for union-busting and for the law to work for working people.”
- SMART statement on President Biden’s veto of HJ Resolution 30
- Second BE4ALL Toolbox Talk promotes “Effective Communication”
- SMART statement on Women’s Equal Pay Day 2023
- SMART Women In Construction Week video profiles first woman SMART sheet metal worker in Rhode Island
- Local 17 journeyperson details her sheet metal journey in Women In Construction Week 2023 video
- SMART statement on the nomination of Julie Su for secretary of labor
- SMART News: BE4ALL toy drive serves families in need, spreads awareness of unionized sheet metal careers
- SMART News: SM Local 66 TAB apprentice works to ensure indoor air quality in Washington schools
- SMART Union Renews Call for Rail Industry Changes After Ohio Derailment
- SMART News: Infrastructure investment, pro-labor politicians create jobs for members in Connecticut