Yesterday the House passed the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. In response, SMART issued the following statement.
Washington, DC— “The passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act is a significant achievement to create and protect good, union jobs in the construction and transportation industries that will be instrumental in rebuilding our nation. Its passage comes as our labor market demonstrates signs of progress and the unemployment rate dropped to 4.6 percent. The passage of this legislation will further aid our recovery.
However, there is still significant work ahead. Congress must immediately pass the Build Back Better Act. This legislation will make unprecedented investments in American families and further boost economic growth. The bill applies labor standards to clean energy tax credits, expands registered apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship programs, invests in high-speed rail projects, addresses indoor air quality in schools and supports workers’ right to organize by making monumental reforms to the National Labor Relations Act.
Congress must fulfill their promise to the American people and deliver on the entirety of President Biden’s agenda by swiftly passing the Build Back Better Act.”
- SMART statement on SCOTUS roll-back of reproductive rights
- SMART Education Department holds organizing training in Portland
- Talking SMART: Member Brings Voice of Working Families to CT Statehouse
- Special Focus: Sheet Metal Workers’ National Pension Fund certified as healthy, in the ‘Green Zone’
- SM Local 73 lends warmth to Chicago residents
- SM Local 9 SMART MAP Eliminates Stigma Around Mental Health
- Join the NALC Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive
- House Transportation leaders urge FRA to act on fatigue, attendance policies
- SMART-TD, BLET gather allies at TTD Executive Committee meeting
- GOP reps encourage BNSF to re-think Hi-Viz