The membership of the SMART Railroad, Mechanical and Engineering Department (SMART MD) has voted to ratify a tentative agreement with the carriers, after almost three years of negotiations between the union and the National Carriers’ Conference Committee (NCCC). The vote was passed with a 54% margin in favor of the negotiated contract.
The ratified contract includes historic wage increases, five annual service recognition payments, an additional paid day off and enhanced healthcare benefits. Members will immediately receive a 13.5% wage increase, and members will also receive retroactive pay and $3,000 in service recognition payments within 60 days.
“It was up to our members to decide whether to accept this agreement, and the members have made the decision to ratify a contract with the highest wage increases we have ever seen in national freight rail bargaining,” said Joseph Sellers, Jr., general president of SMART. “However, we hear the concerns of our members who may be disappointed in the outcome of this vote, and I promise that we will never stop fighting to ensure that they receive the wages, benefits and working conditions that they deserve for keeping the American economy running.”
- Elections matter: How your vote has helped workers since 2020
- Secure your future. Vote!
- Recent progress made.
- Progress made for Bus Dept. and 2PC rule
- Building a healthy future for all Canadians
- SMART Local 206 journeyperson Annet Del Rosario wins July NABTU Tradeswomen Heroes Award
- Inaugural SMART Leadership Conference in San Francisco focuses on “Growth Through Unity”
- White House highlights partnership with SMART, SMACNA and NEMI
- Railroad, Mechanical and Engineering Department Report
- BE4ALL: The seven “A’s” of a courageous conversation