Al Lopez is a member and organizer for International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers (SMART) Local 88 and has dedicated many years to being politically active in fighting to elect worker champions, in addition to his staff duties. He has served as a captain for labor programs since 2006 and now serves as a local union coordinator for the Southern Nevada Central Labor Council. He is also a founding member of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement chapter in Las Vegas that was chartered in 2020.
Everyone knows Lopez for his support of campaign program volunteers; and on days he isn’t knocking on doors, you can find him behind the local’s massive barbecue grill.
Everyone knows Lopez for his support of campaign program volunteers; and on days he isn’t knocking on doors, you can find him behind the local’s massive barbecue grill. “I’ve put in well over 14 years of cooking ‘sheet metal hamburgers’ (as volunteers refer to them), hot dogs, chicken and carne asada for candidates and for charities like St. Jude’s Ranch for Children. Local 88 retirees deserve recognition for the fine craftsmanship it took to build our beast of a barbecue,” Lopez said.
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson
- Update on SMART-TD balloting for National Rail Tentative Agreement
- Appearances with federal officials reinforce that union is labor leader in Kansas
- Meet Teresa George, a 16-year conductor with SMART TD Local 1105 (Wilmington, N.C.)
- Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar hotel deadline now Oct. 28
- New Ford EV plant “a game-changer” for SMART Tenn. local
- TD Local 653 legislative representative receives Chicago labor award