In September 2021, Langley Meals on Wheels contacted SMART Army Canada Local 280 to assist them with obtaining a donation of 3 stainless-steel prep tables for their new facility. Langley Meals on Wheels is a charitable, non-profit society providing affordable menu plans and social meal programs throughout the community. It is anticipated that the new facility will double the number of meals per day and community reach. The new facilities cafe, run by Langley Meals on Wheels staff and volunteers, will be open to the public by December 2021.
After a site visit, business representative Jeff Lind and organizer Steve Davis realized they could do much more in helping such a great organization. They saw an opportunity for SMART Army Local 280 and SMACNA to help the community as well as promote the Sheet Metal trade. Among the many community partners, Langley Meals on Wheels has a strong relationship with School District 35 and its community partners such as Encompass. Through the trade discovery programs and job fairs within the School District 35, the Local is pursuing the next generation of Sheet Metal Workers as they graduate high school. Encompass is a community partner that focusses on youth and provides access and resources to job opportunities.
- American Rescue Plan funding saves thousands of SMART pensions
- Meet Teresa George, a 16-year conductor with SMART TD Local 1105 (Wilmington, N.C.)
- Secure your future. Vote!
- Solidarity with Kingspan workers
- SMART MD membership votes to ratify contract with freight rail carriers
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC
- SMART statement on President Biden’s signing of the Inflation Reduction Act
- SMART statement on White House Back to School 2022 collaboration to improve indoor air quality