In September 2021, Langley Meals on Wheels contacted SMART Army Canada Local 280 to assist them with obtaining a donation of 3 stainless-steel prep tables for their new facility. Langley Meals on Wheels is a charitable, non-profit society providing affordable menu plans and social meal programs throughout the community. It is anticipated that the new facility will double the number of meals per day and community reach. The new facilities cafe, run by Langley Meals on Wheels staff and volunteers, will be open to the public by December 2021.
After a site visit, business representative Jeff Lind and organizer Steve Davis realized they could do much more in helping such a great organization. They saw an opportunity for SMART Army Local 280 and SMACNA to help the community as well as promote the Sheet Metal trade. Among the many community partners, Langley Meals on Wheels has a strong relationship with School District 35 and its community partners such as Encompass. Through the trade discovery programs and job fairs within the School District 35, the Local is pursuing the next generation of Sheet Metal Workers as they graduate high school. Encompass is a community partner that focusses on youth and provides access and resources to job opportunities.
- Michael Coleman is elected SMART General President, succeeding Joseph Sellers
- SMART remembers and honors all who have made the ultimate sacrifice
- Debt default threatens American workers: Take action today
- SMART Local 110 hosts Take Kids Fishing Day events with Union Sportsmen’s Alliance
- SMART Women’s Committee welcomes new members
- SMART-TD announces a price reduction for the Discipline Income Protection Program (DIPP) going into effect on August 1, 2023
- SMART News episode eight features member voices on right-to-work repeal, rail safety, jobs in Ohio and more
- NABTU Legislative Conference brings SMART members to DC to push for pro-worker policy
- Retired General Chairperson Al Nowlin passes away
- Green, UNION jobs: SMART members continue to build our green future on Earth Day 2023