Effective January 1, 2022, SASMI will offer two new COVID-related benefits: a Vaccination Benefit and an Interference with Work Benefit
To encourage all participants to receive a vaccination to protect against COVID-19, members ($200) and their covered eligible dependents (spouse and/or children $100) may be eligible for a vaccination benefit.
Interference with Work Benefit
If a member became ill and could not work due to significant side effects from a first, second and/or booster vaccination for COVID-19, he or she may be eligible to receive a benefit. Up to 24 hours of wages at his or her home local union wage rate per vaccination.
How to Apply for Both Benefits:
If eligible, members need to complete the application on the member portal via SASMI’s website. A separate application will be required for each benefit. A separate application is required for each of the member’s dependents. Each application must include a copy of his or her individual vaccination card (front and back), manufacturer information, vaccine lot number and a vaccination card ID (number on the back right corner of the card).
Finally, members will need to consent that SASMI can verify their status with the CDC and that SASMI can verify dependent eligibility with their local health fund (Vaccination Benefit ONLY). Receipt of the Vaccination Benefit does not limit a participant’s eligibility for other active benefits under the plan and is not considered when calculating severance or HCRA benefits. However, the Interference with Work Benefit will be included when calculating severance or HCRA benefits as well as the 200% rule.
- Elections matter: How your vote has helped workers since 2020
- Secure your future. Vote!
- Recent progress made.
- Progress made for Bus Dept. and 2PC rule
- Building a healthy future for all Canadians
- SMART MD membership votes to ratify contract with freight rail carriers
- SMART Local 206 journeyperson Annet Del Rosario wins July NABTU Tradeswomen Heroes Award
- Inaugural SMART Leadership Conference in San Francisco focuses on “Growth Through Unity”
- White House highlights partnership with SMART, SMACNA and NEMI
- Railroad, Mechanical and Engineering Department Report