RIVERSIDE, Calif. — School bus-driver members employed by First Student here have voted to return to the UTU, and an agreement negotiated prior to their departure has been implemented.
First Student also agreed to provide retroactive pay in addition to wage increases, and the 120 drivers covered by the agreement also obtained advancement of seniority and seniority pay scales that had been frozen during the period the drivers were represented by another organization.
UTU Bus Department Alternate Vice President Bonnie Morr, who assisted with the negotiations, praised the efforts of First Student drivers Roman Lara and Chris Hubbell. Both had been officers of UTU Local 1496 before its members chose to affiliate with another organization. “They really made a difference,” Morr said.
Preparations for new elections are underway.
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen
- SMART-TD, BLET joint statement on rail embargo
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC