Retired UTU member Tom Berry (Local 528, Chicago) has been endorsed by the Texas Democratic party to run for the U.S. House of Representatives in November, representing the Fifth Congressional District in Texas, which includes portions of Dallas.
It will be an uphill battle. His Republican opponent, four-term congressman Jeb Hensarling, won with 84 percent of the vote in 2008.
Berry is running on a platform in support of health care reform and in opposition to privatization of Social Security.
Berry retired from Union Pacific in 2006. He served five four-year terms (1971-1991) as Local 528 chairperson, and also served as UTU’s Illinois state legislative director.
To learn more about Berry and his campaign, click on the following link: http://www.TomBerryforCongress.com
- Registration opens for November TD Regional Training Seminar in Iowa
- Photo recap of TD Labor Day events
- Retired TD Local 1374 leader Sam Marino passes away
- A Labor Day message from TD President Jeremy Ferguson
- Fringe benefit review shows substantial gains for rail workers
- Additional information out for October TD meeting in Toledo
- SMART-TD and labor win latest battle against carriers, AAR
- Missouri Local 933 helps lead caboose restoration
- AFL-CIO TTD, carrier associations oppose House budget cuts targeting RRB funding
- FRA issues safety advisory on long trains