Retired UTU member Tom Berry (Local 528, Chicago) has been endorsed by the Texas Democratic party to run for the U.S. House of Representatives in November, representing the Fifth Congressional District in Texas, which includes portions of Dallas.
It will be an uphill battle. His Republican opponent, four-term congressman Jeb Hensarling, won with 84 percent of the vote in 2008.
Berry is running on a platform in support of health care reform and in opposition to privatization of Social Security.
Berry retired from Union Pacific in 2006. He served five four-year terms (1971-1991) as Local 528 chairperson, and also served as UTU’s Illinois state legislative director.
To learn more about Berry and his campaign, click on the following link: http://www.TomBerryforCongress.com
- SMART statement on President Biden’s signing of the Inflation Reduction Act
- SMART statement on White House Back to School 2022 collaboration to improve indoor air quality
- SMART statement on passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman