Richard P. “DG” De Genova, 67, died Tuesday, February 14 surrounded by his family.
De Genova hired out with the Youngstown and Southern (Y&S) Railway while attending Youngstown State University (YSU). After receiving his BA in History/Secondary Education in 1972, he was a substitute teacher for the Struthers, Lowellville and Campbell, Ohio, high schools.
De Genova realized that his true passion was the railroad and hired out as a brakeman with the then B&O Railroad (now CSX) in August of 1973. Throughout his career, he held the positions of brakeman, road conductor and yardmaster. A member of Local 1948 in Youngstown, Ohio, De Genova served the union as general chairperson for CSX B&O Yardmasters (GCA 247) for 24 years. He settled countless claims for the membership and worked tirelessly to defend the rights of the membership.
In his free time, De Genova was a history buff who enjoyed reading historical books and watching documentaries. He was also a fan of the Cleveland Indians and other local baseball teams.
De Genova is survived by his wife of 38 years, Phyllis (Gallas); two daughters, Angela (Jonathan) Bellack and Natalie De Genova; parents, Mary K. and Joseph De Genova; and sister, Barb (Gary) Roberts. He was preceded in death by an infant son, Patrick.
Visiting hours are Friday, Feb. 17 from 5-8 p.m. at the Higgins-Reardon Funeral Home, 2726 Center Rd., Poland, OH 44514. A prayer service will be held Saturday, Feb. 18 at 9:30 a.m. at the funeral home. A mass of Christian burial will follow at 10 a.m. at the Holy Family Parish, 2729 Center Rd., Youngstown, OH 44514.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Beatitude House, 238 Tod Lane, Youngstown, OH 44504-1714, or online at www.beatitudehouse.com.
Click here to read De Genova’s official obituary and to leave condolences.
SMART TD extends their condolences to the De Genova family, friends and all who knew De Genova.
- Local 1420 mourns death of Local Chairperson Kevin Spragg￼
- Watch the Skies — It’s National Lightning Safety Week!
- Former VP Robert Earley passes away
- NMB proffers arbitration to United Rail Unions
- Ferguson to House subcommittee: ‘I’m screaming into the bullhorn’ for help￼
- Third week of NMB sessions concludes; unions again call for proffer of arbitration
- TD President Ferguson to testify before House rail subcommittee
- United Rail Unions’ statement following NMB sessions
- New York two-person crew bill heads to governor for signing￼
- General President Sellers’ Memorial Day video message