This is a critical moment in the movement for equality, equity and justice in both of our countries, and SMART has taken steps to lead the way. When we welcome and support members from communities that are currently underrepresented in our membership, our union only becomes stronger.
The Recruitment and Retention Council was formed to create an action plan for locals to recruit, retain and include diverse groups in our organization. The council also looks to champion workplace equality within our industries and to promote respect, inclusion and safe, non-hostile work environments at all levels within SMART.
The council aims to facilitate members coming together as one organization, have these necessary conversations and collectively work on these important issues. The first meeting, featuring attendees from dozens of locals across North America, looked to introduce members to each other, with SMART General President Joseph Sellers, Jr. joining leaders from across the union in kicking off proceedings by addressing its immediate goals. The council is working to create an action plan for locals to recruit, retain and include diverse groups within the organization, while ensuring these new members feel welcome. In meeting this goal, the council aims to ensure workplace equality by promoting respect, inclusion and safe, nonhostile work environments at all levels within SMART.
Louise Medina, a SM Local 265 (DuPage County, Ill.) member who chairs the council, remarked that, “this meeting was only a first step in a long road ahead. I look forward to taking a look at how we recruit and how we will help shape the future for our union brothers and sisters.”
- Special Focus: This is our time
- This is our time
- This is our time to prepare for a changing world
- Bus and transit workers deserve protection
- Raising the standards for all workers
- FRA issues safety advisory on long trains
- Darrell Roberts takes on new challenges as assistant to the general president
- New GP Coleman brings leadership, innovation to members
- Retired General President Sellers honored by SMART-TD
- SMART endorses President Joe Biden for second term