On March 23, 2011, SMART TD member Dwight Hauck nearly died in a horrific crew transport van-train collision in a Kelso, Washington, rail yard that killed two other passengers and the driver. Hauck suffered permanent, debilitating injuries as a result of the crash. The incident spurred SMART TD State Legislative Director Herb Krohn and other union leaders in the state of Washington to lobby reps to apply oversight protections regarding rail crew shuttle companies.
A legislative mandate that includes accident tracking, driver drug testing and regular vehicle inspections is expected to become state law in Washington within the next few weeks.
Click here to read the article and to view the video interview with Mr. Mr. Hauck, posted on Northwest Public Radio.org.
- SMART statement on SCOTUS roll-back of reproductive rights
- Local 1420 mourns death of Local Chairperson Kevin Spragg￼
- Watch the Skies — It’s National Lightning Safety Week!
- Former VP Robert Earley passes away
- NMB proffers arbitration to United Rail Unions
- Ferguson to House subcommittee: ‘I’m screaming into the bullhorn’ for help￼
- Third week of NMB sessions concludes; unions again call for proffer of arbitration
- TD President Ferguson to testify before House rail subcommittee
- United Rail Unions’ statement following NMB sessions
- New York two-person crew bill heads to governor for signing￼