If you are planning to retire in the coming months, you are sure to have concerns and many more questions.
Understanding retirement benefits, Medicare and Medigap – and, especially, assuring you obtain all you are entitled to – is no simple task. There is help, however, and SMART TD can help you.
Many of your pre-retirement questions can be answered at the UTU Internet home page, at www.utu.org by clicking on “UTU Alumni Association” (located along the top under “About UTU”).
See, for example, the article headlined, “Preparing for Your Retirement,” which provides advice on tasks to consider in the months before your actual retirement.
The topics include, “Money and health,” “Medicare and more,” “Pension plans,” “Investment income,” “Monthly income,” information for UTUIA policy holders, and advice on documents you will need to complete or obtain before applying for certain retirement benefits.
Also provided are contact information – phone numbers and Web addresses – where additional retirement information (such as veteran’s benefits for surviving spouses) may be obtained.
A new addition to that the Alumni Association page is a link to UnitedHealthcare’s “Retirement Made Easy Kit,” crafted for railroaders about to retire.
For Bus and Aviation Department members, there is a link for Social Security information.
Don’t overlook information on joining the UTU Alumni Association, which will keep you in touch with other UTU retirees and continuing news about the UTU, your past employer and current events affecting airlines, the motorcoach industry and railroads.
Those nearing retirement also should click on the “Health Care” link in the grey tile area at the top of the UTU homepage at www.utu.org. You will find there additional links to information on health care benefits, disabilities and Medicare prescription drug benefits.
Advance planning is an important first step toward assuring smooth sailing toward a successful and enjoyable retirement.
- A Memorial Day message from TD President Jeremy Ferguson
- Nevada members: Let Gov. Lombardo know he should sign rail safety bill!
- GO-851 and GO-513 reach tentative agreement with CSX with paid sick days
- Minnesota governor signs omnibus bill, making two-person freight crews law
- Input needed for union’s FTA bus operator safety comment
- Railroad Retirement Board statements of service being issued
- SMART-TD takes lead during ‘Railroad Safety Day’ on Capitol Hill
- Registration for annual SMART Leadership Conference now open for TD officers
- Watch: Local sheet metal unions win back pay for wage theft and worker misclassification
- Union launches rail hours of service violation report, updates safety condition and rail technology event report