Open enrollment has begun for SMART Transportation Division bus and rail members in the union’s new Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP). The plan, now underwritten by Amalgamated Life Insurance Company, is available for long-term protection against a sudden loss of income due to an illness or injury. Although Open Enrollment will run through Nov. 30, 2019, members may sign up at any time during the enrollment period. Coverage will commence upon successful completion of the enrollment process.
This plan has been established to provide yet another level of financial security to members in the event that a long-term recovery from an illness or injury leaves them unable to work. Members can customize their 24-7 coverage by selecting the benefit option best suiting their individual needs and then pay for coverage through payroll deductions. VDP benefits are payable after a 180-day elimination period and are paid in addition to any other benefits such as the TD Voluntary Short-Term Disability (VSTD) plan, worker’s comp, Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) sickness benefit or others.
The new VDP has two- and five-year options with monthly benefits starting at $300 up to $5,000 available in $100 increments that can cover up to 60% of an enrollee’s earnings. Approval of benefits from Amalgamated is subject to participation requirements and/or simplified medical underwriting.
This VDP coverage is portable for all members, and it won’t be lost if an enrollee is furloughed or suspended. Benefits remain payable in addition to other disability benefits, exceed those of standard long-term disability plans and will give financial security in a time of need.
This plan is optional and voluntary. If a member does not enroll, he or she will not be covered.
Information concerning benefit options and rates for all SMART TD members is available at www.smart-vltd.com, by emailing email@example.com or by calling the SMART TD VDP Enrollment Center at 224-770-5328.
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen
- SMART-TD, BLET joint statement on rail embargo
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC