Robert W. Vann IV, 54, was killed Tuesday, Jan. 10 when the BNSF crew van that he was riding in was involved in a head-on collision with a pick-up truck near Wolf Point, Mont.
Vann served his country in the U.S. Air Force before hiring out as a conductor with BNSF in Minot, N.D. He had more than 13 years of service with the railroad at the time of his death and was very active in Local 1059. Vann served as local legislative representative from 2011 to 2013; legislative vice chairperson from 2012 to 2016; and vice local chairperson from 2015 to 2017. During his free time, he enjoyed volunteering in his community.
Vann is survived by his wife Terra Vann; children Cassie (Joe) Faiai, Bobby (Virginia) Vann, Chase (Cassie) Vann, Tiffany (Mike) St. Lawrence, Cody Vann and Camie Vann; grandchildren Kierna, Kyric, Sefa, Alyssa, Samson, Aisi, Teia and Brooklyn; sister Susan (David) Vann-Spruill; brother Andrew (Sandy) Vann; and a few nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents Robert III and Mary (Flowers) Vann; and grandparents Thelma and Robert Vann II, and Luther and Mae Flowers.
A celebration of life will be held Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 2025 9th Street NW, Minot, ND 58701. Click here to leave condolences for the family.
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen
- SMART-TD, BLET joint statement on rail embargo