A message regarding cyber attack impacting Anthem
As you may have heard, Anthem, Inc., the parent company of SMART’s voluntary short-term disability insurance provider Anthem Life Insurance Co., was the victim of a cyber-attack. Anthem has informed us that its member data was accessed, and that such access could possibly have included VSTD member data as well.
We are working with Anthem to better understand the impact on VSTD members. To date, Anthem has informed us of the following:
- Once Anthem determined it was the victim of the cyber-attack, it immediately notified federal law enforcement officials and shared the indicators of compromise with the HITRUST C3 (Cyber Threat Intelligence and Incident Coordination Center).
- Anthem’s Information Security is working to eliminate any further vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data.
- Anthem immediately began a forensic IT investigation to determine the number of impacted consumers and to identify the type of information accessed. The investigation is ongoing.
- The information accessed included member names, member health identification numbers/Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers, Email addresses and employment information, including income data. Social Security numbers were included in only a subset of the universe of consumers that were impacted.
- Anthem is still working to determine which members’ Social Security numbers were accessed.
- Anthem’s investigation to date shows that no credit card or confidential health information was accessed.
- Anthem has advised us there is no indication at this time that any of our members’ personal information has been misused.
- All impacted Anthem members will be enrolled in identity repair services. In addition, impacted members will be provided information on how to enroll in free credit monitoring.
Anthem has created a website – www.anthemfacts.com – and a hotline, 1-877-263-7995, for its members to call for more information.
We will continue to keep you updated on Anthem’s ongoing investigation and any further developments as they are made known to us.
SMART Transportation Division
Voluntary Short-Term Disability Program Trustees