All previously declined members and future enrolled members of the SMART-TD Long-Term Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) now have access to up to $1,000 of guaranteed approved coverage.
North Olmsted, Ohio (April 16, 2020) — In May 2019, the SMART Transportation Division rolled out a new Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) to all dues-paying members living in the United States and working at least 20 hours per week. This plan, underwritten by Amalgamated Life Insurance Company, was subject to simplified medical underwriting, which led to some members not receiving medical qualification for this important coverage.
SMART leadership has been in negotiations with Amalgamated to resolve this issue, and the company has agreed to provide $1,000 of guaranteed approved coverage to all future enrollees, including those who previously had been medically denied coverage.
This enhancement to the SMART TD Long-Term Disability Plan (VDP) applies to all members who had applied previously and were denied coverage and to all future new enrolled members.
The following conditions will be made effective on Aug. 1, 2020:
- Those enrolled members must currently be actively at work
- Members who previously enrolled and were declined may find themselves in a new age group based on the new effective date of coverage. This will impact their premiums.
The $1,000 guaranteed approved benefit plan will have the following design:
- $1,000/month maximum benefit
- 180-day elimination period
- 2-year maximum benefit duration
- 12/12 pre-existing limitation (pre-existing condition clock will start Aug. 1, 2020)
For more information about the enhanced VDP plan or to enroll, visit www.smart-vltd.com or call the SMART-TD VDP Enrollment Center at 224-770-5328.
About SMART TD: The SMART Transportation Division (SMART-TD) is comprised of approximately 125,000 active and retired members of the former United Transportation Union, who work in a variety of different crafts in the transportation industry. With offices in North Olmsted, Ohio, and Washington, D.C., SMART TD is the largest railroad operating union in North America.
For more information regarding this press release, please contact:
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for two-person crews
- SMART-TD LACMTA operators ratify tentative contract
- House leaders introduce bill reauthorizing STB and to assist rail customers