Non-union employees at a commuter rail operation in the state of New Mexico expressed interest in union representation and now they have it.
Engineers, conductors and ticket agents working for New Mexico Rail Runner Express voted April 28-29 for representation by the SMART Transportation Division, Director of Organizing Rich Ross reports.
The Rail Runner Express operates over approximately 100 miles of right-of-way, serving the metropolitan areas of Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to SMART Transportation Division’s assistant state legislative director in New Mexico, Donald A. Gallegos, for his efforts. He went above and beyond the call of duty during this campaign,” Ross said.
“I also thank the members of SMART Sheet Metal Division Local 49 and Business Manager Vince Alvarado for the use of their facility in Albuquerque as our base of operation.”
“Hopefully, we can reach an agreement soon for our 38 new members.”
The commuter rail service is administered by the New Mexico Department of Transportation over right-of-way purchased from BNSF Railway. Operation and maintenance of the line and equipment is currently under contract to Herzog Transit Services, Inc.
According to NMDOT, Rail Runner Express carried 1,219,461 passengers in fiscal year 2011.
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for 2 person crews
- Local 12 apprentices get hands-on architectural experience
- SMART statement on passage of CHIPS and Science Act
- Union Plus opens ‘Unions Power America’ contest￼
- Your experiences – our PEB case!
- SMART Local 206 journeyworker wins July NABTU Tradeswomen Heroes Award
- Rail labor statement regarding the appointment of a PEB
- New Ford EV plant “a game-changer” for SMART Tenn. local
- The TRUTH about the railroad supply chain and labor negotiations