By Bonnie Morr
Alternate Vice President, Bus
When operating a motor coach — whether carrying students, commuters, tourists or the handicapped – whenever we open the door, we are exposed to assaults.
We are vulnerable to what we do see, and what we cannot see, such as the sneezing, wheezing and coughing passengers spreading illness.
Many of us are versed in “talking down” aggressive and sometimes out-of-control passengers. The federal government and states are toughening penalties for violent acts against transportation workers, and many employers are taking additional steps to protect bus operators, such as by installing video cameras in terminals and on buses.
On page 11 of this issue, our union’s medical consultant, Dr. Norman Brown, explains how to protect ourselves against one dangerous micro-organism called MRSA.
A benefit of being a union member is that from the local level to the International, we have qualified officers and staff working each day to help improve workplace safety. For example, to the right of this column is an article and photo showing the success of the UTU in having notices posted in Coach USA buses in New Jersey warning of severe penalties for assaulting bus operators.
If you have ideas about further protecting the safety and health of bus operators, share them with your local officers, and also with Bus Department Vice President Vic Baffoni at the UTU International in Cleveland, whose e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Members of GO-953 ratify historic tentative agreement with Union Pacific
- Input needed for union’s FTA bus operator safety comment
- Registration for annual SMART Leadership Conference now open for TD officers
- Watch: Local sheet metal unions win back pay for wage theft and worker misclassification
- Union launches rail hours of service violation report, updates safety condition and rail technology event report
- ProPublica reports: “As Rail Profits Soar, Blocked Crossings Force Kids to Crawl Under Trains to Get to School”
- Defense of our bus operators is needed
- SMART-TD Local 1594 hosts productive meetings with TD leadership
- SMART News episode eight features member voices on right-to-work repeal, rail safety, jobs in Ohio and more
- Green, UNION jobs: SMART members continue to build our green future on Earth Day 2023