Local 29 member Michael Gregory Ollek, 51, was tragically killed by an oncoming LIRR train while doing track work for the railroad, June 10. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the accident.
Ollek served in the Marine Corps as a staff sergeant stationed at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, Calif. for four years. After which, he served in the reserves for many years. After his service in the military, Ollek hired out with Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) as a track man and then later worked as a track foreman.
Ollek loved spending time his two sons, Michael and Daniel, sailing and riding dirt bikes. He also loved skiing and was a history buff.
Ollek is survived by his mother Patricia F. Link; two sons Michael and Daniel; one brother Kevin Link; cousin Chris Taylor and many other friends and family.
A memorial service is being held June 13, at Clair S. Bartholomew and Son, 302 Bedford Ave., Bellmore, NY 11710, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. A short service will follow from 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to The Boys & Girls Clubs of America or the charity of your choice.
A GoFundMe account has been set up by members of Local 29 to help support the family during this difficult time.
SMART TD extends their condolences to the Ollek family, friends, Local 29 and to all who knew Ollek.
Click here to leave condolences for the Ollek family.
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads