It’s billed as the world’s longest tunnel – 35.4 miles long — and it’s been 60 years in the planning and digging. It’s in Switzerland.
The Gotthard Base Tunnel is the backbone of a proposed high-speed freight and passenger rail network through Europe, according to various news reports, cutting under the Alps and intended to create a high-speed rail link from Rotterdam in The Netherlands to Genoa in Italy.
Train speeds through the tunnel are projected to reach 155 mph.
However, still to be completed, according to news reports, are two more rail tunnels – one in France and the other in Italy — meaning the first high-speed trains from Rotterdam to Genoa along the route might not operate for another 10 years.
- Computer outage does not affect TD RTS events
- TD Local 278 shows solidarity with UAW
- SMART-TD forms new committee to address assaults on bus and transit operators
- TD local nominations/elections coming up in autumn
- Registration opens for November TD Regional Training Seminar in Iowa
- Photo recap of TD Labor Day events
- A Labor Day message from TD President Jeremy Ferguson
- Additional information out for October TD meeting in Toledo
- Last chance in 2023 for TD members to open-enroll in VLTD, VLIFE plans!
- AFL-CIO TTD, carrier associations oppose House budget cuts targeting RRB funding