A letter issued from the Labor Member of the Railroad Retirement Board, John Bragg, addressed criticism by White House staff leveled toward RRB regarding investments in Chinese enterprises. Bragg’s response is reproduced below and links to supporting documentation are also available in the text below.
July 9, 2020
Brothers and Sisters:
As many of you may know, our retirement trust fund is one of the healthiest in the country. The National Railroad Retirement Investment Trust (NRRIT), manages and makes the investment decisions of the railroad retirement funds and to date has helped produce returns that secure our trust fund well into the future. NRRIT is an independent non-federal entity governed by a seven-member Board, with three selected by rail management, three selected by rail labor, and one independent trustee selected by the six rail trustees. The best interest of the trust fund and the security that it provides to the rail community is always at the forefront of their duties.
However, just this week, the Chairman of the RRB received a letter from Larry Kudlow, Director of the National Economic Council, along with National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien expressing concerns over NRRIT’s investment in Chinese companies. The letter alleged that NRRIT was investing in two Chinese companies specifically that pose an economic risk to the trust funds of railroad employees. NRRIT had already assured us last month that it did not hold any interest in the companies named in the letter.
Chairman Chorlé responded to the inquiry from Mr. Kudlow and Mr. O’Brien yesterday with the concurrence of Management Member Jayne and myself. I assure you that we, along with NRRIT, are taking the inquiry very seriously. A copy of the letter and our response is attached for your viewing.
RRB Labor Member
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen
- SMART-TD, BLET joint statement on rail embargo
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC
- Labor rallies planned Sept. 10 in Nebraska, Ohio