To comply with federal law, those enrolled in the Railroad Employees National Health and Welfare Plan and the National Railway Carriers and United Transportation Union Health and Welfare Plan must provide Social Security numbers of dependents.
Failure to comply can result in loss of health care benefits for dependents.
Federal law now requires the reporting of Social Security numbers (SSNs) of covered dependents to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
In addition, if a covered dependent is eligible for Medicare, then the Medicare Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) is also required to be reported.
In order to comply with these reporting requirements, Railroad Enrollment Services has mailed a final notice to those members identified with missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs.
If you have received a notice from Railroad Enrollment Services, please provide the SSN and/or HICN for any dependent who is listed as missing this information.
Please be sure to sign, date and return the Social Security reporting form by the requested return date to the address provided.
According to the plans, the following will occur if the requested SSNs are NOT provided:
- For any dependent who was newly added to the plan between Jan. 1, 2009, and May 31, 2010: If we do not receive the Social Security number for any newly added 2009/2010 dependent whose SSN is missing by July 31, 2010, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective July 31, 2010.
- For any dependent who was added to the plan before Jan. 1, 2009: If we do not receive the Social Security number for any dependent whose SSN is missing by Jan. 31, 2011, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective Jan. 31, 2011.
NOTE: If you do not receive a notice requesting missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs, then you do not need to take any action.
When Railroad Enrollment Services transmits the SSNs and/or HICNs to CMS, they will maintain all physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal information.
For additional information regarding the new CMS federal law pertaining to this requirement, visit http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MandatoryInsRep/
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC
- Registration open for TD Northwestern RTS