Watch a Labor Day message from SMART General President Joseph Sellers below:
For a video and more on the history of Labor Day, see below:
Labor Day became a federal holiday in 1894 when President Grover Cleveland signed it into law to appease angry union workers following a railroad labor strike in which President Cleveland, in a controversial move, sent in armed troops to break up the strike. More than a dozen workers were killed.
More information is available here from The History Channel or here from the U.S. Department of Labor.
SMART TD wishes all members and their families a safe and happy Labor Day!
- SMART statement on passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for two-person crews