WASHINGTON — A former John McCain operative has been nominated by President Obama to fill a Republican seat on the Surface Transportation Board.
The nomination requires Senate confirmation.
It is not clear whether there is sufficient time for the lame-duck Congress to act on the nomination. If not, the nomination is likely to be remade after the new Congress convenes in January.
The nominee is Ann D. Begeman, currently Republican staff director for the Senate Commerce Committee, whose ranking Republican is Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas).
Begeman previously was McCain’s legislative director (2004-2009), and served as a McCain spokesperson during McCain’s unsuccessful run for the White House against Obama.
Earlier, she was a Senate Commerce Committee staffer and also a legislative aide to Sen. Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), who made an unsuccessful run in 1980 for the White House.
Begeman earned a degree in business from the University of South Dakota.
If confirmed, she would succeed Republican Chip Nottingham, whose STB term expires Dec. 31. Under provisions of the Interstate Commerce Act, Nottingham may continue serving until a successor is confirmed, or not later than Dec. 31, 2011. Nottingham’s successor would serve through Dec. 31, 2015.
The three-person STB has regulatory authority over railroad mergers and labor protection for rail employees adversely affected by mergers, line sales and leases, and line abandonments. The agency also regulates railroad freight rates.
The other two STB members are Chairman Dan Elliott and Frank Mulvey — both Democrats.
- SMART-TD announces tentative agreement with BNSF that addresses quality of life issues and predictability for time off
- FRA awards SMART-TD over $600,000 to fill void in rail carriers’ training programs
- Computer outage does not affect TD RTS events
- TD Local 278 shows solidarity with UAW
- North and South Carolina members join for Solidarity Shoot
- What TD members can do to support the UAW strike
- SMART-TD forms new committee to address assaults on bus and transit operators
- Message to rail workers from TD President Ferguson re: UAW strike action
- Effort by coworkers ensures fallen TD Local 1846 member will not be forgotten
- SMART-TD Announces Its Support for STB’s Historic Declaration of Reciprocal Switching