Retired former Local Chairperson Michael C. Ruffner, 72, of Local 1379 at Pittsburgh, died just before midnight on Friday, Feb. 27. He was preceded in death by his wife, Patricia Ann (Foradori) Ruffner.
After graduating from Sts. Cosmas and Damian High School in 1960, Ruffner began his railroad career as a brakeman for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad on the Pittsburgh Division. Upon returning home from service in the U.S. Army Reserves, he became a conductor for B&O and later CSX Transportation and became active in the affairs of his local union.
He was a devoted member of Sts. Cosmas and Damian Catholic Church, where he served as an usher for years. He was also a member of a number of organizations including the American Legion, Rossiter Veterans’ Club, Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Loyal Order of Moose, the Elks Club, and the Lions Club, of which he served as chapter president.
He is survived by a son, Michael C. Ruffner, of Marathon Key, Fla; two daughters, Dulcey Ann Ruffner of Punxsutawney, Pa., and Courtney Judith Ruffner Grieneisen of Bradenton, Fla., a grandson, Valentino “Tio” Grieneisen of Bradenton, Fla., a brother, Charles Daniel Ruffner of Cherry Tree, Pa., and a sister, Kathleen Anne Heaps of Charlotte, N.C.
Family and friends will be received from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m., Tuesday, March 3, at Deeley Funeral Home at 33 Hillcrest Dr. in Punxsutawney.
A funeral mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 4, at Sts. Cosmas and Damian Catholic Church in Punxsutawney, followed by interment at Calvary Cemetery.
Memorial donations may be made to the Punxsutawney Lions Club, 199 Rock Run Rd., Punxsutawney, PA 15767.
Online condolences may be made at www.deeleyfuneralhome.com.
- Growth through unity
- SMART, labor allies convene at AFL-CIO Convention to build worker power
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for 2 person crews
- SMART-TD LACMTA operators ratify tentative contract
- House leaders introduce bill reauthorizing STB and to assist rail customers
- Local 12 apprentices get hands-on architectural experience
- SMART-TD, BLET presidents update members following PEB 250
- SMART statement on passage of CHIPS and Science Act