SHAWNEE, Kan. — Robert G. Martin, a former UTU general chairperson (GO 457) on Kansas City Southern Railway, died here Dec. 24 at age 80.
A native of Beaumont, Texas, he was a member of UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and, later, UTU Local 20 in Beaumont. Martin worked as a yardman for KCS in Beaumont from the 1950s until 1980, when he moved to Kansas City, Mo., following his election as a general chairperson. He retired in 1999.
Martin is survived by his wife of 44 years, Cara, as well as two sons, a stepson, a stepdaughter, four grandchildren, a brother and a sister.
No services are planned. Condolences and messages may be posted at www.amosfamily.com; or mailed to: The Amos Family, 10901 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS 66203-2829.
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for 2 person crews
- SMART-TD LACMTA operators ratify tentative contract
- House leaders introduce bill reauthorizing STB and to assist rail customers
- Local 12 apprentices get hands-on architectural experience
- SMART-TD, BLET presidents update members following PEB 250
- SMART statement on passage of CHIPS and Science Act
- Union Plus opens ‘Unions Power America’ contest￼
- United Rail Unions statement on opening of PEB