SHAWNEE, Kan. — Robert G. Martin, a former UTU general chairperson (GO 457) on Kansas City Southern Railway, died here Dec. 24 at age 80.
A native of Beaumont, Texas, he was a member of UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and, later, UTU Local 20 in Beaumont. Martin worked as a yardman for KCS in Beaumont from the 1950s until 1980, when he moved to Kansas City, Mo., following his election as a general chairperson. He retired in 1999.
Martin is survived by his wife of 44 years, Cara, as well as two sons, a stepson, a stepdaughter, four grandchildren, a brother and a sister.
No services are planned. Condolences and messages may be posted at www.amosfamily.com; or mailed to: The Amos Family, 10901 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS 66203-2829.
- House subcommittee leaders take aim at PSR cuts in STB reauthorization hearing￼
- STB requires additional service reporting from railroads
- Longtime Mo. SLD passes away￼
- The Coordinated Bargaining Coalition again calls on NMB to proffer arbitration
- April 28th proclaimed “A Day of Honor and Remembrance for Railroad Workers” in Kansas
- TD GO-386 gets arbitration win over attempted BNSF pool consolidation, other work-rule changes
- “We won’t back down!”
- SMART Transportation Division issues statement on Amtrak board nominees
- RRB resumes in-person appointments
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB