SHAWNEE, Kan. — Robert G. Martin, a former UTU general chairperson (GO 457) on Kansas City Southern Railway, died here Dec. 24 at age 80.
A native of Beaumont, Texas, he was a member of UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and, later, UTU Local 20 in Beaumont. Martin worked as a yardman for KCS in Beaumont from the 1950s until 1980, when he moved to Kansas City, Mo., following his election as a general chairperson. He retired in 1999.
Martin is survived by his wife of 44 years, Cara, as well as two sons, a stepson, a stepdaughter, four grandchildren, a brother and a sister.
No services are planned. Condolences and messages may be posted at www.amosfamily.com; or mailed to: The Amos Family, 10901 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS 66203-2829.
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson
- Important update for all SMART-TD and BLET members included in national negotiations
- BLET, SMART-TD to host Town Hall meeting on November 9
- Update on SMART-TD balloting for National Rail Tentative Agreement
- Rule of 2 comment period extended by FRA to Dec. 21
- SMART-TD Local 206 mourns sudden loss of member