Lawrence J. Crist, 91, died Nov. 7 at the Sioux City hospital in Sioux City, Iowa.
Crist started his railroad career with the Illinois Central Railroad when he hired out as a brakeman and worked his way up to the position of conductor. A member of Local 493 in Waterloo, Iowa, Crist was elected to the position of Iowa state legislative director, which he held until his retirement in 1992.
Crist was a member of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. In his free time, he enjoyed pheasant hunting, western books and movies, golf and spending time with friends and family.
Crist was preceded in death by his wife, Jeanine Crist; parents Benedict and Margaret Crist; two brothers and one sister. He’s survived by his two sons, Mike Crist and Kevin (Nancy) Crist; grandchildren, Audrey and Kena Crist; great-grandson, Kieran Crist-Kenworthy; and several nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.
Crist is interred at Mount Calvary Cemetery in Cherokee, Iowa. Click here to leave condolences for Crist’s friends and family.
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson
- Important update for all SMART-TD and BLET members included in national negotiations
- BLET, SMART-TD to host Town Hall meeting on November 9
- Update on SMART-TD balloting for National Rail Tentative Agreement
- Rule of 2 comment period extended by FRA to Dec. 21