Retired former CSX (B&O) General Chairperson John T. “Terry” Reed, 71, died March 5.
Funeral services will be held March 11 at 1 p.m. at Floral Hills Memorial Gardens and Funeral Home at 5336 Old Taylor Mill Rd. in Taylor Mill, KY 41015.
The services will be preceded by a visitation at 11 a.m. and followed by a luncheon at 1:30 p.m. The funeral home’s telephone number is (859) 356-2151 and additional information can be found at the funeral home’s website at floralhillsmemorialgardens.com.
A private service for family and pall bearers will be held at 1:45 p.m.
Reed, a member of Local 14 at Cincinnati, Ohio, began his railroading career with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in Cincinnati on June 4, 1966.
He was accepted for membership by UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen later that year and maintained 37 years of continuous membership. He became active in the affairs of Local 1517 (later merged with Local 14) and was elected local chairperson in 1971 and served in that capacity until 1987. He also served as the local’s delegate at four UTU International conventions.
Prior to being elected as CSX (B&O) GO 49 general chairperson in 1992, he had served as both secretary and vice general chairperson of the general committee.
Reed was appointed to the UTU’s national negotiating committee in 1994 and 1999 and to the union’s national health and welfare agreement negotiating committee in 2002. He also served on the UTU wages and rules panel in 1996 and 2002.
Reed is survived by his wife, Phyllis, daughter and son-in-law, Melody and Alex Warner, and three grandchildren.
Flowers may be sent to the funeral home through the funeral home’s website.
- Ultimately, decision about tentative agreement is in members’ hands
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)