In a video message, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D – Mass.) welcomed SMART Transportation Division attendees to the Providence, R.I. regional meeting held July 13-15, 2015. The video was played at the opening session July 13.
Sen. Warren, who has made her life’s work the fight for middle class families, was elected to the United States Senate on November 6, 2012, by the people of Massachusetts.
She is recognized as one of the nation’s top experts on bankruptcy and the financial pressures facing middle class families.
She is widely credited for the original thinking, political courage, and relentless persistence that led to the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. President Obama asked her to set up the new agency to hold Wall Street banks and other financial institutions accountable, and to protect consumers from financial tricks and traps often hidden in mortgages, credit cards and other financial products.
In the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, Warren served as Chair of the Congressional Oversight Panel for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). Her independent and tireless efforts to protect taxpayers, to hold Wall Street accountable and to ensure tough oversight of both the Bush and Obama Administrations won praise from both sides of the aisle.
During her campaign for the Senate, Elizabeth promised to fight for middle class families and to make sure that everyone has a fair shot to get ahead. She called for policies that would level the regulatory playing field for small businesses and ensure that everyone – even large and powerful corporations – pays a fair share in taxes and is held accountable for breaking the law.
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC