CSX-employed yardmasters represented by the UTU have ratified a coordination-of-operations agreement affecting CSX eastern district (former Baltimore & Ohio) and northern district (former Conrail) lines.
The agreement was negotiated in response to a CSX filing with the U.S. Surface Transportation Board to “transfer, consolidate, coordinate and merge train operations and the associated work force” in the eastern and northern districts of CSX. An implementing agreement between CSX and the UTU was required under provisions of so-called New York Dock labor protection.
The ratified agreement contains negotiated enhancements, including automatic certification for employees at locations where assignments will be affected by the coordination, prior rights to consolidated work, and an increase to the highest yardmaster pay rates for all positions in the territory not currently at the high rate.
Additionally, the ratified agreement establishes around-the-clock yardmaster coverage at a new CSX intermodal facility at North Baltimore, Ohio, and places the newly acquired work under the jurisdiction of the former B&O collective bargaining agreement.
UTU International Vice President John Previsich, who assisted with negotiations, commended General Chairpersons Richard DeGenova (CSX, GO 247) and Robert Keeley (CSX, GO 342) “for their commitment and tenacity in seeking improved conditions for their members during the long and difficult negotiating period of this agreement. Their efforts were instrumental in securing enhancements rarely obtained in Section 4 negotiations,” Previsich said.
- SMART statement on President Biden’s 2023 State of the Union address
- Assistance for East Palestine, Ohio, derailment evacuees
- SMART Local 28’s Leah Rambo appointed deputy director of U.S. DOL Women’s Bureau executive team
- Local 1715 members ratify contract with CATS
- Fiery derailment causes evacuation in Ohio
- BNSF asks the FRA for permission to run trains with 120 CFM of flow in the name of safety
- TTD’s Regan testifies at new T&I committee’s first hearing
- Local 1470 member included on Railway Age’s ‘Fast Trackers’ list
- Hudson Tunnel project to create more than 70,000 jobs in New York and New Jersey
- B&P Tunnel replacement project in Baltimore promises jobs, better conditions for SMART members