By Vice Baffoni
Vice President, Bus Dept.
Congratulations to Community Transit General Chairperson Calvin Studivant in Newark, N.J., whose members in Local 759 ratified a new contract providing an across-the-board wage increase, an extra holiday with pay, an increase in vacation pay and pension benefits, and no givebacks.
Assisting in the bargaining were Local 759 President David Deleon, Local Chairperson John Bladek, Secretary Antonio Ortiz, and Legislative Rep. Kaleem Muhammad. Assisting in the successful bargaining was New Jersey State Legislative Director Dan O’Connell.
Take note that all UTU locals are in the election cycle. I strongly encourage any member who wishes to serve the members to run for office.
Those who run for office must recognize that they have an obligation to know what their responsibilities to the membership will be, and understand that they must be prepared to sacrifice regarding their personal life.
A union office is much more than a title. It is serving the membership, knowing it is often without compensation, or even a thank you. True union leaders are rewarded by the knowledge that they are serving their membership to the best of their ability.
The UTU is blessed in having countless dedicated men and women who serve their membership in an exemplary manner.
When you, as a member, vote for your local officers, please remember to consider and vote for those individuals who have demonstrated dedication, integrity and a record of serving the membership.
If you elect individuals of this caliber, you will elect a team of officers that will always put you and your brother and sister members first – and that strengthens your local. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
- SM Local 24 member joins NABTU, union leaders, elected officials to highlight opportunity in Ohio
- New SMART News features interviews with GP Sellers, incoming GP Coleman, an update on rail legislation following East Palestine, and more
- TCU & Shop-Craft Coalition reaches tentative agreement with Amtrak
- To better serve you, we have to know where you are!
- Daughter of GC Richard Finley passes away
- SMART-TD strongly supports bipartisan Railway Safety Act of 2023
- Your contributions make our union voice stronger!
- Local 28 member showcases SMART members’ role in fight against climate change
- SMART statement on President Biden’s 2023 State of the Union address
- SMART Local 28’s Leah Rambo appointed deputy director of U.S. DOL Women’s Bureau executive team