CLEVELAND – The Great Lakes Science Center is looking for current and retired rail workers to come aboard and volunteer to help with “All Aboard! The Science of Trains,” a railway display exhibit running Friday, Nov. 3, 2017, through Feb. 19, 2018, at the museum, 601 Erieside Ave. in Cleveland, Ohio.
The display features items from the Midwest Railway Preservation Society and is funded in part by donations from both the International Association of Sheet Metal Air, Rail and Transportation Workers Transportation Division (SMART TD) and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET), rail unions headquartered in Northeast Ohio. Portions of the display highlight the importance of the rail industry both in the Cleveland area and around the United States while others deal with the science and technology of trains. Volunteers will help to staff the display and help to explain to tour groups consisting of mostly Cleveland-area schoolchildren what some of the items in the display were used for and share other facts about railroads.
Potential volunteers are asked to call Steve Korpos Jr., the supervisor of the Midwest Railway Preservation Society’s roundhouse, at 216-781-3629. Volunteers will be issued nametags and shirts as representatives of the Midwest Railway group and work alongside Science Center employees.
The SMART Transportation Division is comprised of approximately 125,000 active and retired members of the former United Transportation Union, who work in a variety of crafts in the transportation industry.
The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen represents nearly 57,000 professional locomotive engineers and trainmen throughout the United States. The BLET is the founding member of the Rail Conference, International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
The Midwest Railway Preservation Society is an Ohio 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation that repairs and preserves steam locomotives in the historic B&O roundhouse at 2800 W. Third St. in downtown Cleveland.
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads