By Richard Deiser
Vice President, Bus Department
It was gratifying to see the large number of Bus Department local and committee officers and legislative representatives in attendance at the regional meeting in New Orleans. There were many long-time experienced veterans and many new faces.
President Futhey’s emphasis on organizing efforts will no doubt increase the need for training new officers in the future. The regional meetings continue to be a primary source of training for new and old. In New Orleans, we had seminars on what constitutes a grievance and preparing for arbitration by Dr. Francis X. Quinn.
Ernie Martinez (Local 1607), ably assisted by David Ojeda, conducted a two-part discussion on accident investigation.
The class on duties of local officers, taught by the International’s Director of Strategic Planning John Nadlin, was attended by an overflow crowd, as was the first-responder class directed by UTU organizer Billy Moye.
In addition, we had an open forum during which attendees had opportunity to discuss items of interest at their local and gather suggestions.
Everyone agreed that they came away having learned something new. I urge all the bus locals to send at least one officer to one of next year’s regional meetings. The few dollars you spend on training now can save thousands later.
Training also is available over the Internet through the UTU’s iLink connection to the UTU University.
The International also has booklets available, such as a manual for Bus Department chairpersons, and “Progress through Unity,” which is a compilation of materials from a number of previous regional seminars.
- Deadline is Monday to get discount hotel rate for TD Tacoma RTS
- SMART-TD Tentative Agreement update: Oct. 5, 2022
- TD organizing win thanks to collaboration in Michigan
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established