The members of the Auxiliary of the UTU Scholarship Fund Board met in North Olmsted, Ohio, April 23-24, 2013. During the meeting, scholarships were drawn from the 53 applications submitted by Auxiliary members for the 2013-2014 school year. The board must “spend” at least 5 percent of our average annual net worth on scholarships to meet our Internal Revenue Service obligations. Through a random drawing, the board awarded eight (8) scholarships this year. These scholarships were drawn by Erika Diehl of the UTU Legal Department and Mary Kay Gubics, office secretary of the Auxiliary, in the presence of the Scholarship Fund Board members. The following are winners of the 2013-2014 Auxiliary Scholarships. Winners are listed in the order the applications were drawn. Congratulations to the scholarship winners! The Auxiliary of the UTU is proud to be able to help in the education of our Auxiliary family members.
2013-2014 Scholarship Winners:
Child of Barbara Moore, Lodge 28, of St. Louis, Mo.
Grandchild of Elaine Tressler, Lodge 565, of Toledo, Ohio
Grandchild of Betty Lively, Lodge 170, of Fort Worth, Texas
Steven David Hatfield
Child of Kathy Callahan, Lodge 700, of Peeples Valley, Ariz.
Grandchild of Linda McComas, Lodge 3, of North Olmsted, Ohio
Grandchild of Donna English, Lodge 489, of San Antonio, Texas
Stepchild of Lianna Madsen, Lodge 136, of Salt Lake City, Utah
Grandchild of Elizabeth Simmons, Lodge 932, of Belleville, Ill.
- SMART News episode 10 features Local 19 member on Biden endorsement, coverage of railroad victories, GP Coleman’s visit to Tenn. megaproject and more
- Veto means Nevada governor picked politics over safety
- Members of GO-953 ratify historic tentative agreement with Union Pacific
- Watch: Local sheet metal unions win back pay for wage theft and worker misclassification
- ProPublica reports: “As Rail Profits Soar, Blocked Crossings Force Kids to Crawl Under Trains to Get to School”
- Defense of our bus operators is needed
- SMART News episode eight features member voices on right-to-work repeal, rail safety, jobs in Ohio and more
- Green, UNION jobs: SMART members continue to build our green future on Earth Day 2023
- Sheet metal worker-owner earns “Contractor of the Year” honorable mention
- Deputy Labor Secretary Julie Su has walked the walk for workers