Brothers and Sisters,
Today we reflect on and honor the sacrifices made by all the men and women who have served in the United States Armed Forces. Without their protection, we would not be the country we are today, nor would we enjoy the freedoms that we do.
As a veteran of the U.S. Army, I view this holiday with great respect and solemnity. As such, this union takes seriously the duty and obligation that we must show appreciation to members of the military — those on active duty, those who have retired and those who are no longer with us. We must remember and show gratitude for all they have done to defend our country, our nation’s constitution and our people as a whole. Their sacrifices must not go unnoticed nor be forgotten.
So as we all celebrate this Memorial Day, please take a moment to reflect on what this holiday really means. Remember to take the time to reflect on the memory of those whom we have lost in defense of our country and for those who currently serve.
As a reminder, our union has many resources for veterans available — please see the links below. As we continue into June, which is PTSD awareness month (National PTSD Awareness Day is June 27), be sure to take care of yourselves and seek out help or support if you need it. More information about PTSD and treatment options are available here.
Thank you, God bless, and stay safe!
Jeremy R. Ferguson
President, Transportation Division
If you are suffering from PTSD and think you may hurt yourself, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 to reach a trained counselor. Use that same number and press 1 to reach the Veterans Crisis Line.
- SMART-TD statement on the results of the U.S. Senate vote to impose the rail agreement
- SMART-TD statement on potential extension of status-quo period
- SMART-TD statement on congressional intervention in the national rail negotiations
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson