Local treasurers should note that employees will continue to receive the benefit of reduced payroll taxes and access to extended unemployment benefits under legislation signed by President Barack Obama on Feb. 22.
That law, the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012, maintains a reduction in the social security payroll tax on employees, and the corresponding tier I payroll tax rate on railroad employees, of two percentage points.
It also provides that out-of-work members can obtain extended unemployment benefits through the end of calendar year 2012.
To view the U.S. tax amounts and percentages for 2012, click here.
- Hudson Tunnel project to create more than 70,000 jobs in New York and New Jersey
- B&P Tunnel replacement project in Baltimore promises jobs, better conditions for SMART members
- Support needed for Wyoming train-length bill effort
- EPI study estimates money lost by misclassified workers
- UP actions prompt departure from safety program
- SMART-TD announces enhanced benefits with new Voluntary Long-Term Disability (VLTD) carrier
- Local 168 mourns passing of Chairperson Garcia
- TD Disaster Relief Fund in urgent need of donations
- Union Plus scholarship deadline approaching; others open for TD members’ families
- Remembering MLK